top of page
  • Belfast Between The Wars


Northern Whig, Friday 16th February, 1934


What was alleged to be the stock-in-trade of a counterfeit coiner aroused much curiosity at Belfast Custody Court yesterday when it was produced as evidence in a case in which Walter A. Fullerton, Fortingale Street, was charged with passing and attempting to pass counterfeit coins.

Head Constable McLoughlin prosecuted.

Agnes McCartney, an assistant in the confectionery shop of Simon Marshall, Donegall Street, said that on February 13 a man came in and asked for two packets of cigarettes. He gave her a two-shilling piece, and she gave him the cigarettes and 1s 8d change. After he had gone she discovered that the coin was a bad one. About ten minutes afterwards the same man came into the shop and tendered a half-crown in payment for two more packets of cigarettes. Witness then gave the half-crown and two-shilling piece to her employer, Mr. Marshall, who, saying he was going for a policeman, went out of the shop. The men left just after Mr. Marshall. On February 15 witness attended an identification parade and failed to identify any of the men as the one who had given her the coins. She did not see that man in Court now.


Simon Marshall said that McCartney handed him the coins produced. He went to get a policeman, and prisoner, who was standing near the door of the shop, started to run away. Witness gave chase and followed him along Union Street, down Kent Street, across Royal Avenue, and into William Street, where he found that some man whom he did not know was detaining him. Witness said to him, “I want you for passing bad coins.” By this the large crowd which had collected became hostile, and witness had to let prisoner go. On February 14 witness identified the prisoner at a parade in the Police Office as the man he had chased.

Detective-Constable Cremin said that on February 14 he cautioned and charged the prisoner, who said, “As sure as God may strike me dead this charge is concocted.” To the second charge he said, “Not guilty. I know nothing about it.”

Witness continued that when he searched prisoner’s house in Fortingale Street on February 14 he found the chemicals, &c., produced.

Detective-Sergeant Caulfield corroborated. Prisoner was remanded in custody for a week.


bottom of page